For additional information pertaining to handgun legislation, refer to the following state laws or call the office of the Minnesota Attorney General at 651-296-7575.
- Minnesota Statute Section 624.7131 - Transferee permit; penalty
- Minnesota Statute Section 624.7132 - Report of transfer
- Minnesota Statute Section 624.714 - Carrying of weapons without permit; penalties
Permit to Purchase / Transfer a Firearm
Residents who reside within the city limits of North Branch, Lindstrom, Wyoming and Chisago city should apply for a Gun Permit to Purchase at their respective police departments. All other Chisago County Residents may pick up an application at the Sheriff’s Office between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday or download an application from this website.
- Applications must be delivered in person to the Sheriff’s Office and signed in front of an office staff member. A Driver’s License copy showing current address must also be provided at this time.
- Permits to Purchase a Firearm must be renewed every 12 months.
The law enforcement agency will conduct a series of background related checks to assure you meet the eligibility requirements established in state law. Once those checks are complete, a permit will be issued that is valid for one year and may be used to purchase a handgun statewide.
Permit to Carry
Permits to carry a pistol are issued by Minnesota County Sheriffs.
Under Minnesota Law, individuals must obtain a permit to carry a handgun in public. (Note: There is no stipulation in the law regarding whether that weapon must be concealed.) A Permit to Carry Constitutes a Permit to Purchase. To obtain a Permit to Carry, follow the procedure below:
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Individuals wishing to obtain a permit to carry must fill out the "Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application - Permit to Carry a Pistol" below and submit it in person to the sheriff’s office in the county where they reside.
- Applicants must provide proof that they have taken a Minnesota Permit to Carry a Handgun Course with an instructor that is Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) Certified and that it meets Minnesota Statute 624.714, Subdivision 2(a). The course includes fundamentals of pistol use, actual shooting qualification exercise, and instruction in the fundamental legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use including self-defense and the restrictions on use of deadly force. Training must occur within 12 months of applying for permit.
- In Chisago County, these applications will only be accepted between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
- The permit to carry application fee in Chisago County is $100 and is valid for 5 years. It authorizes unlimited purchases within that time period.
- The permit to carry application renewal fee in Chisago County is $75 if you apply before your permit expires. If you are within 30 days from when your permit expired the permit to carry application renewal fee in Chisago County is $85.
- Once received, the office has 30 days to process the application.
- A Permit to Carry issued in Minnesota is valid throughout Minnesota.
- Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application - Permit to Carry a Pistol (PDF)
- Minnesota BCA website for additional information on Permit to Carry