Lake Improvement District
February 4, 2019 Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District (LID) Annual Meeting and Election of one Area 1 and one At Large Board of Directors Positions
The Annual Meeting of the Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District will be Monday, February 4, 2019, at 6:30 p.m., in conference room 150B, lowest level, Chisago County Government Center, Center City.
The mission of the Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District is to restore, preserve, protect and enhance the water resources of the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes watershed. Information on the Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District is available at
The Annual Meeting will include a presentation showcasing 2018 projects and activities.
In addition, there will be an election for one Area 1 and one At Large Board of Directors positions. A map showing Board Member areas can be found at
The Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District solicited applications for the Area 1 and At Large Board of Directors positions. Publication and notice of candidate filing opportunities occurred in December 2018 issues of the Chisago County Press. The notice was distributed among area lake associations. The candidate application deadline for Area 1 and At Large Board of Directors positions expired on January 4.
rea 1 Board of Directors Election
Candidate(s) that have submitted an application include: James Benson and Michael Mergens.
At Large Board of Directors ElectionAt Large must be owner of real property within the Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District boundary or be a buyer under contract for deed of property in the District.
Candidate(s) that have submitted an application include: Theron Drenckhahn and Gary Schumacher.
Absentee BallotsAbsentee ballots are available to any eligible voter requesting one. Absentee ballots must be delivered to the Chisago County Government Center, Environmental Services office, 313 North Main Street, Center City, MN 55012 by 3:00 pm. February 4, the day of the annual meeting. Absentee ballots received after 3:00 p.m. are void and will not be counted.
To receive an absentee ballot, please contact Jerry Spetzman, LID Administrator, 651-213-8383, . In order to receive and return an absentee ballot by US mail it is recommended your request be received by January 28. Absentee ballots may be returned in person up to 3:00 p.m. on the day of the election.
MeetingsThe regularly scheduled Lake Improvement District (LID) Board meetings are held:
- 6:30 p.m.
- The 1st Monday of each month, unless that date is in conflict with a major holiday
- In those instances, the meetings will be held on the following Monday
- Chisago County Government Center, Room 150B in Center City
- 2019 LID Board Meeting Calendar
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are ready for review before the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agenda | All Agendas
- Area 1: Mike Mergens Term: 2015 - 2019
- Area 2: Jill Behnke Term: 2018 - 2022
- Area 3: Rob Sandgren Term: 2018 - 2022
- Area 4: Joyce Anastasi Term: 2016 - 2020
- Area 5: Monica Kinny Term: 2017 - 2021
- At Large: Steve Paquay Term: 2017 - 2021
- At Large: Gary Schumacher Term: 2015 - 2019
The mission of the Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District is to restore, preserve, protect and enhance the water resources of the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed.
The goals of the Lake Improvement District are to:
- Preserve, protect and enhance water quality within the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed.
- Maintain the ditch and weir system in order to control water levels during high water events.
- Encourage environmentally sound land use practices for urban and agricultural areas to protect water quality within the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed.
- Support safe and balanced recreational use of surface water.
- Restore, improve and maintain navigation channels between the lakes.
- Protect, encourage and restore native shoreline to improve fish and wildlife habitat.
- Promote environmental education, awareness and stewardship within the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed.
- Promote the reduction of non-native aquatic invasive species.
Water Resource Management
The activities of the Lake Improvement District are guided by a Water Resource Management Plan. The plan includes the Mission, Goals, and Objectives of the LID. Each year the plan is reviewed and modified by the LID Board. The plan is used as a budgeting tool to prioritize the use of limited funding.
Lake Improvement District By-Laws
Updated June 15, 2016
The Chisago Lakes Lake Improvement District was first established on April 21, 1976 by Resolution of the Chisago County Board of Commissioners and was reactivated by Resolution of the County Board on August 21, 1984.
The Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed is about 10 miles long and 9.3 miles wide. Maps of the lakes are available below. The major lakes in the Chisago Lakes Chain of Lakes Watershed are: