Noxious Weed Appeal Committee


The Noxious Weed Appeal Committee meets as needed.


The County Board of Commissioners shall appoint members of the Appeal Committee. The membership must include a county commissioner or municipal official and a landowner residing in the county.
Darrel Trulson   Land Owner Term: 04/16/2011 - 04/15/2014 
 County Commissioner Term: 04/16/2011 - 04/15/2014

Weed Eradication Notice

The recipient of an individual notice to control or eradicate weeds may appeal, in writing, the order for control or eradication of noxious weeds. The appeal must be filed with a member of the Appeal Committee within 2 working days of the time the notice is received.

Appeal Filed

Once an appeal is filed, the Chairman shall, within 5 days, convene a meeting of the Appeal Committee to inspect the land specified in the notice and report back to the recipient and the inspector either agreeing, disagreeing or revising the order. The decision may be appealed in district court. If the committee agrees or revises the order, the control or eradication specified in the order, as approved or revised by the committee, may be carried out.


If the decision of the Noxious Weed Appeal Committee is given orally to the weed inspector and recipient, the Chairperson must also submit a decision in writing to the recipient and the inspector within 10 working days.


Notice is hereby given this 12th day of May, 2014, pursuant to Minnesota Statutes, Section 18.83, Subdivision 1 (2009), that all persons in Chisago County, Minnesota, shall control or eradicate all noxious weeds on land they occupy or are required to maintain.  Control or eradication may be accomplished by any lawful method, but the method(s) applied may need to be repeated in order to prevent the spread of viable noxious weed seeds and other propagating parts to other lands.  Failure to comply with the general notice may mean that an individual notice, Minnesota Statutes, Section 18.83, Subdivision 2 (2009), will be issued.  An individual notice may be appealed within two working days of receipt to the appeal committee in the county where the land is located.  Failure to comply with an individual notice will mean that the inspector having jurisdiction may either hire the work done or seek a misdemeanor charge against the person(s) who failed to comply.  If the work is hired done by the inspector, the cost can be placed as a tax upon the land and collected as other real estate taxes are collected.  You may obtain a list of the plants that are designated as noxious weeds and the members of the appeal committee from your County Agricultural Inspector or County-Designated Employee.  You can also obtain this information from your Local Weed Inspectors.  Local Weed Inspectors include the township supervisors, city mayors or their appointed assistants.  More information regarding the statewide listed noxious weeds, the MN Noxious Weed Law and a list of County Agricultural Inspectors and County Designated Employees can be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture’s website by visiting:

Jeffrey A. Fertig
Steven K. Putman
County Agricultural Inspectors
313 North Main Street, Room 243