Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Health officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) are monitoring an outbreak of respiratory illness, called coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Cases of COVID-19 are now begin reported in a growing number of countries, including the United States. Chisago County Public health is in routine communication with MDH for the latest updates and information. We are preparing and will continue to communicate with the community if the situation changes.
What Chisago County resident can do:
When a new disease is circulating, it’s natural to ask what we can do to protect ourselves.
- Take Care: Take the same precautions recommended to avoiding colds and flu (cover your cough, wash hands, stay home when sick).
- Prepare: Businesses should encourage sick workers to stay at home. Individuals and families should develop a plan for your household now, so you are ready in case someone gets sick. Families should consider back up child care options.
- Travel: If you are considering a trip, especially international travel, review CDC travel guidance. This guidance is changing frequently.
- Face masks: The CDC does not recommend that people who are well (healthy) wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19.
- Don’t discriminate: Do not show prejudice to Minnesotans of Asian descent or assume that someone of Asian descent is more likely to have COVID-19. Do not discriminate against people wearing a face mask or assume that they are ill. People wear masks for a variety of health and cultural reasons.
- Educate yourself: Make sure your information comes from reliable sources -- like MDH, CDC, or your healthcare provider. Know the symptoms -- for most people, COVID-19 starts with a fever and a dry cough, not a runny nose. Most people will have a mild disease and get better without needing any special care.
- Stay informed: Visit the MDH and CDC COVID-19 websites and Chisago County Public Health’s Facebook page for continuously updated information.
Other Resource Links:
Get your Home Ready: FAQ’s for Individuals and Families
Preventing the spread of COVID-19 in homes and residential communities
Preventing the spread of COVID - 19 in long-term care facilities
COVID-19 and Schools and Childcare Program FAQs
COVID-19 and Pregnancy FAQs
Interim Guidance on Breastfeeding for a mother confirmed or under investigation for COVID-19
COVID-19 and Children FAQs
Talking with children about COVID-19: Messages for parents, school staff, and others working with children
Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers to Plan and Respond to COVID-19
Interim Guidance: Get Your Community and Faith-Based Organizations Ready for COVID-19